[Callers] FYI - Synchronize

Don Veino sharedweight_net at veino.com
Thu Jun 21 15:35:56 PDT 2018

Please see the disclaimer/request at the end of this message.

Just FYI, I've been trialing an alternative term for Gypsy in place of the
good but long-ish "[Right|Left] Shoulder 'round" - I wanted to wait until
I'd had several evenings of usage in order to see how it went before
sharing with others.

The term, "Synchronize", fits syntactically like "Gypsy" using the same
modifiers, e.g.: "Neighbor Left Synchronize", with something like
"Sync(h)(ro) Left" as a short form. In my opinion, it speaks to what the
move achieves in choreography and feeling, plus fits some of the prior
constructs used (e.g.: "Sync into a Swing"). As best as I can determine
there is no existing/related dance form using the term, so there's no
complication with existing meanings.

In my experience, dancers have just smiled and done the move when I've
taught/introduced it - no confusion or complaints or "why don't you just
say Gypsy?" comments in several events now. Those dancers who have
mentioned it at all said they liked it.

BTW, I don't wish to re-ignite the flame wars on whether or not an
alternative term is required - if you aren't interested in one then please
simply ignore this.

Thanks,
Don