[Callers] Circles, Crazy Circles

John Sweeney john at modernjive.com
Tue Jul 10 09:03:37 PDT 2018

Larry Jenning's words from Give-and-Take (just in case there is anyone out
there who doesn't have, or can't find their copy!):

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
GIVE-AND-TAKE: General definition adopted by some callers and composers: The
"swingers", a man and a woman facing across the set, meet, join free hands,
retreat to the designated side of the set, and prepare to swing. Unless
otherwise specified, the dancers retreat to the man's side.

Original implementation: I visualized a very crisp, four-count
interpretation. The previous twosomes (not the new twosomes) end the
previous figure (perhaps a swing, a promenade, or a courtesy turn) in half
shoulder-waist position. The previous twosomes move forward at the start of
the phrase, and the swingers form new twosomes by joining free hands
(woman's right, man's left). The woman resists for a moment while they
establish firm but elastic connection, and they take only two more counts to
position themselves to swing a step cw around the entire set from where the
man started. This puts the set in SAWTOOTH FORMATION.

I was put on the defensive by a woman who let me know in no uncertain terms
that she was not about to be given or taken by any man. I felt much
relieved, therefore, to find "give-and-take", with the hyphens even, in the
dictionary: "the practice of compromise." Now that's my kind of attitude; I
even invite you to compromise with your swinger (and with me) by taking up
to as many as eight counts for your implementation.

I agree with Colin that it is much more satisfying if you start the move
with your arm around the person you just swung and go forward together.

            Happy dancing,
                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802
940 574