[Callers] Looking for "fun" dances

Mark Hillegonds mark.hillegonds at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:27:03 PST 2018

Hi all,

Here's another contrary circling dance that I've had good success with:

*Esmerelda's Revenge*
Beth Parkes, Circle Mixer

A1  Circle in and back   /   Circle in, Ladies stay in (face in), Gents
back out (face in)
A2  Ladies single file to L, Gents single file R   /   Turn around, Back to
Partner
B1  Partner DSD   /   Corner (to L of Partner) alle L 1x, Pass Partner by R
B2  Next person (new partner) B & S

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 4:58 AM, John Sweeney via Callers <

> Since so many people enjoy the contrary circling in The Wheel, you might
> enjoy this one as well:
>
> Suicide Square
> http://www.ceilidhcalling.co.uk/danceviewpage.php?view=1&id=9
>
> It is extremely chaotic!  You can reduce the chaos slightly by getting the
> band to stop randomly during the circling, at which point everyone grabs a
> partner; the band waits a few seconds while everyone finds a partner and
> decides whether they are Heads or Sides, then gives two notes and starts
> the
> next Heads Gallop.
>
> I modify it to give a bit more recovery time:
>
> Start in a big square around the room
> A1:     Head couples take partner in a ballroom hold and gallop eight steps
> into the centre and back
> A2:     Sides gallop eight steps into the centre and back
> B1:     All the men form an outer circle facing in, while the ladies form
> an
> inner circle facing out. All circle left then find a new partner
> B2:     Partner Swing - stop early enough to decide whether you are now
> Heads or Sides - Heads get ready to gallop
>
> There is also The Muffin Man Jig:
> http://www.ceilidhcalling.co.uk/danceviewpage.php?view=1&id=11
>
>             Happy dancing,
>                    John