[Callers] Good dances with challenging timing

Yoyo Zhou yozhov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 11:58:42 PST 2018

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:26 AM, Rick Mohr via Callers <

> Some dances require skill to make the timing work — like starting a figure
> with dispatch so a later balance will be on time, or doing a figure
> leisurely to avoid being early for the next one. But while many dancers
> have the awareness to make things like that work, many dancers don’t. Since
> there are plenty of fantastic dances without such challenges I tend not to
> call dances which have them.
>
> But I’ve also found that such dances are great when I’m asked to lead a
> workshop helping dancers improve their skills. Longtime dancers aren't
> eager to change their habits, and having something concrete like making a
> balance on time adds motivation, ideally opening a window where learning is
> possible.
>
> Unfortunately though I've discarded or passed on collecting most such
> dances!
>
> Have any suggestions of good/great dances where the timing is tight or
> loose in spots?
>
> One of mine in that category is Crow Flight (http://rickmohr.net/Contra/Da
> nces.asp#CrowFlight). Learning opportunities include gents flowing from
> swing to circle (common with aware dancers but a revelation to some),
> ladies moving efficiently from circle to hey, and doing a hey with two
> steps per pass (possibly realizing the difference between a 3-change and
> 4-change half hey).
>
> Thanks for any ideas!

Some classics I think fit in this category:

The Baby Rose by David Kaynor - lots of time to circle left 3/4 and do si
do before a balance.

String of Swings by Rick Mohr and Bob Isaacs - ending swings on time can be
challenging for some dancers; there's nothing like the dissatisfaction of
waiting for somebody to let go of the person you're supposed to swing next.

Joyride by Erik Weberg (with slow tempo) - especially as the author wrote
it, with the last pass of the hey at the beginning of B1; many dancers
aren't used to taking 8 counts for the more loosely timed figures in the A
part.

Judah Jig by Charlie Fenton (with fast tempo) - dancers have to get all the
way around twice in B1 (circling left and right hand star) to make the
ladies chain go across the set.

Yoyo Zhou