[Callers] New 4x4 composition with a tunnel, and related questions

Dale Wilson dale.wilson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:04:31 PDT 2018

I called this sunday to a room full of experienced dancers.  The feedback
was positive.   It's not something I will call often, but I plan to keep it
as a "novelty" dance for the right circumstances.

Dale

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 1:14 PM Luke Donforth via Callers <

> In honor of John calling it before I had a chance to test it (and after
> checking in with him), I'm going to call this "The Brave Sir Sweeney".
>
> Hope other folks get to enjoy it.
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM, John Sweeney via Callers <
>
>> Hi Luke,
>>
>>               I called it tonight.  We had low numbers so I tested it
>> during the interval with some volunteers as a Four Couple Dance.  At the
>> end of the Partner Swing we just faced back to the same line.  Or changed
>> it from Head Lines to Side Lines if we wanted different people to go
>> through the arches.
>>

>>               I wanted all the Box the Gnats at the same time, so I did
>> Balance & Box the Gnat.  They may have been very slightly late getting
>> through the tunnel, so, to avoid the possibility of the Balance being late
>> or random, I changed the Balance & Swing to Dosido & Swing which worked
>> fine.
>>

>>               I indicated who should go through the tunnel first via a
>> geographic reference: pick a feature of the room and let people know that
>> you are going to use it.  I called “Window People Tunnel” – that worked
>> well.
>>

>>               We had lots of room, so the first swing tended to end up
>> with the set as a square, which meant that the four steps into the middle
>> were fine, but with less room the “Head Couples” might not have very far to
>> travel, but I don’t think it would be a problem.
>>

>>               The dancers said that they liked it.  I will definitely use
>> it again.
>>

>>               Does it have a name?
>>

>>               Thanks.
>>

>>             Happy dancing,
>>
>>                    John
>>

>> John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 &
>> 07802 940 574
>>
>> http://www.modernjive.com for Modern Jive Events
>> & DVDs
>>
>> http://www.contrafusion.co.uk for Dancing in Kent

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation,
naming things, and off-by-one errors.