[Callers] Barn Weddings are a thing now

Luke Donforth luke.donev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:02:15 PDT 2018

This is tangentially related to calling, but apparently the percentage of
weddings hosted in barns has grown from 2% to 15% in the last decade (
https://tinyurl.com/ycbm9god). While the article doesn't specific that
called dancing has increased as well, I'd be surprised if it hadn't.

A decade ago is about when I started calling. I'd appreciate hearing from
folks with longer records how they feel the prevalence of wedding gigs has
shifted over time; and how that varies geographically.

Although possibly the fluctuations are too large to get a decent signal out
of the small sample size. From my own records:

2017: I had 14 One-Night-Stand gigs, and 1 of those was a wedding.
2016: I had 14 family level dances, and 4 of those were weddings.
2015: 10 ONS, 3 weddings.
2014: 14 ONS, 7 weddings
2013: 13 ONS, 2 weddings
2012: 4 ONS, 1 wedding

As an aside, I really think the 15% of couples having their wedding party
in a barn should be framed as a rebound from a longer historic decline. But
if it's getting noticed and push-back from banquet hall trade groups, it
may be coming to a close.

--
Luke Donforth
Luke.Donforth at gmail.com <Luke.Donev at gmail.com>