[Callers] New 4x4 composition with a tunnel, and related questions

Mac Mckeever macmck at ymail.com
Thu Aug 2 11:40:51 PDT 2018

 interesting - the a1 looks pretty ambitious - but if they don't finish in time, the a2 is forgiving
Mac McKeever
    On Thursday, August 2, 2018, 1:36:35 PM CDT, Luke Donforth via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

 Hello all,
I've had an idea for a 4 facing 4 dance rattling around, and it seems unlikely I'll have enough dancers to house-party it anytime soon, so I'd appreciate feedback on an untested dance.
4 facing 4 contraA1(4) Lines of 4 go forward, take right hand with the one in front of you(4) box the gnat, keep and lift right hand to make a tunnel(4) couple at stage right side of line of couples duck through to far side(4) couple that was at stage left side of line of couples duck through to far sideA2(16) Initial corner balance and swing (end couples, it's the one they tunneled with, middle folks it's their trail buddy)B1(4) All 8 go into the middle(4) On the way out, gents roll the one they swung with away with a half sashay(8) Gents right hand star ~1x (ladies adjust position as needed, stepping a little to left)
B2(16) Partner balance and swing, end facing new couple
Questions for those so inclined:Would you be interested in dancing and/or calling this dance? Why, or why not?
The inspiration for the tunnel came from "plow the row", a (to my knowledge) traditional square (at least, it's traditional enough to have lots of variations). Anyone know of a tunnel figure in a 4x4 contra?
In the B1, I wrote it as the gents roll the ladies, and the gents star. It could instead be the ladies roll the gents and ladies star. Preferences?
There are two places where what would normally be "balance+move" have been replaced with "in to the middle+move"; is the four steps forward before the box the gnat and the roll away going to throw folks?
How would you prompt the couples on the end going through the tunnel so that there's only one couple in the tunnel at a time? Or would you prompt it as both going through and let them figure it out inside the tunnel?
Thanks for feedback.
--
Luke Donforth
Luke.Donforth at gmail.com