[Callers] Star 1/2 -> Star 1/2?

Read Weaver rweaver at igc.org
Sun Apr 22 09:13:20 PDT 2018

Yes, several English country dances have this; the move is sometimes called “falling stars” (when there are 3 or 4 in a row). I think the difficulty comes from people not expecting to move on to a new couple after just 4 counts—we’re used to doing things that only take 4 counts, but moving to a new couple in the middle of a phrase is rare. I see teaching that says “look where you are at the beginning and think where you’ll be half-way ‘round” but it doesn’t seem to help much; focusing on “you’ll be with new people in just 4 steps” may work better.

Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org