[Callers] Playing With Butterflies

Luke Donforth luke.donev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 08:58:24 PDT 2018

> Butterfly DRAFT 20180410.2 - DI - Don Veino
> A1 N Balance & Swing
> A2 Gents Allemande Left 1+1/2x (Ladies left arm over P’s right as picked
> up),
> P Star Promenade 1/2x, Butterfly Whirl CCW along set to next Ns*, stay
> connected with P
> B1 Ladies Catch RH, Star Promenade P 1/2x CW, Butterfly Whirl CW into P
> Swing [on L’s home side]
> B2 Ladies Chain, Half Hey (back to THIS N...)
>
> End effects: re-enter in Butterfly hold with P (where/how depends upon
> answer below)
>
> *Question: I believe the butterfly shift could progress this dance forward
> (whirl shift to right as face out) or reverse (shift left). I believe
> reverse progression would flow/feel slightly better but forward progression
> could be less confusing to dancers - which would be best?

I think if you were going to do a butterfly shift, the counter-clockwise
shift would feel a smidge better.

A concern I have though, is that you're asking couples to butterfly whirl
close enough to each other to re-hook for another star promenade. When I
think about the butterfly whirl after a star promenade, there's a moment of
release where the two couples move away from each other. Bringing that
close enough together so that the ladies can catch rights seems to me akin
to swinging in the middle of the set.

It's worth a house-party test; but I'd make sure to do it with at least 12
dancers to get a feel for spacing (which can be hard to get in a house
party).

Good luck.

--
Luke Donforth