[Callers] Great dances for learning how to dance with ghosts?

K Panton panton90 at tricolour.queensu.ca
Sat Apr 7 08:57:04 PDT 2018

Thanks, Yoyo.

I am causing myself serious brain injury mind-dancing this one.

In the end, I agree with you that treating your P as N works in this dance.

There remains another issue of locating error-recovery opportunities (and
possible caller interventions!) which I will look at (and NOT report back)

Ken

Yoyo Zhou via Callers Fri, 06 Apr 2018 15:50:03 -0700

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM, K Panton via Callers <

In The Hobbit, here are the 3 places you come back in. Let's call the top

couple "couple 1", and if someone is waiting out above them, call them

"couple 0".

0. as couple 1 (with nobody out), top of A1

The start of the dance - it's a regular improper dance. Couple 1 should

come in as usual (gents left, ladies right).

1. as couple 1 (with nobody out), B1: pass through to original neighbor

If there's no couple 0, couple 1 goes out in the pull by in A1. We can

figure out that couple 1 should come in as usual (gents left, ladies right).

2. as couple 0, A1: pull by to previous neighbor

This is the couple that just went out at the top. They have to come back in

with gents on the right, ladies on the left! However - this is the key - if

they treat their partner as neighbor at the end (box the gnat, pull by),

they end up in the correct place.

All this is to say that the advice for this dance should be "dance with

your partner as neighbor at the end", because it turns out that works for

all the situations here.