[Callers] Great dances for learning how to dance with ghosts?

K Panton panton90 at tricolour.queensu.ca
Fri Apr 6 14:52:35 PDT 2018

Warning: rabbit hole ahead.

Colin: I read your text for your workshop. All useful stuff and you do say
more than "treat your partner as a neighbour".

Re Michael Fuerst's quote, I agree that end-effects are what they are and
they are not (necessarily?) the point of the dance, but they sometimes must
be dealt with head-on. Example: I have tried to make any sense of the end
effects in the dance The Hobbit
http://www.quiteapair.us/calling/acdol/dance/acd_283.html . I think it's a
great dance - if you can avoid the ends - but I'll be [darned] if I can
make it around the end successfully. I've tried calling it, walking thru at
a callers workshop with several experienced dancers and none of us could
make sense of the end-effects. We were missing some magical key to
understanding (perhaps guarded by Smaug). "Go where you are needed" wasn't
going to work. Nor were the other rules. Sometimes, it seems, the
end-effects must be taught just as the dance. No easy feat.

Colin Hume via Callers
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=callers@lists.sharedweight.net&q=from:%22Colin+Hume+via+Callers%22>
 Thu, 05 Apr 2018 02:42:50 -0700
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=callers@lists.sharedweight.net&q=date:20180405>

I'm not sure that dancing with ghosts is the best way to deal with end-effects
- I prefer "treat your partner as a neighbour".

I have a whole section of notes on End-effects at
https://colinhume.com/dtendeffects.htm

Colin Hume