[Callers] Another dolphin surfaces

hgrastorf hgrastorf at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 13:40:05 PDT 2018

Second sentence third paragraph should be pass Lady TWO by the right. Sorry.April
-------- Original message --------From: hgrastorf via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> Date: 4/5/18  4:37 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Cheryl Joyal <clmjoyal at gmail.com> Cc: "callers at lists.sharedweight.net" <Callers at lists.sharedweight.net> Subject: Re: [Callers] Another dolphin surfaces
A dolphin hey is used in English dances and, like the Mad Robin and pousette, is creeping into contra repertoire.
It's a hey for THREE rather than for four, with one couple acting as a unit.
The initiating couple in this case are the ones. With Gent 1 in the lead, BOTH 1s pass Lady 1 by the right (she crosses the set to pass her partner by the left). Gent 1 and Lady 1 pivot 180° which puts Lady 1 in the lead. She leads her partner across the set, passing Gent 2 by the left. The 1s again pivot and come back into the center of the set passing Lady 1 by the right and Gent 2 by the left.
An excellent video can be found on the lambertvillecountrydancers.org website. Click on ECD and then search for Sapphire Sea, from which I shamelessly stole the set up. Pick the one with the asterisk. Watch the Gent in the vest and note that he is always closer to the curtains than his partner (in black) who is always closer to the center of the room. In my dance the genders are reversed, but the rule is the same. The dolphins change who is in the lead WITHOUT changing places. They turn in tandem. The best way to learn is to dance it, of course. But I hope this helps.
April
-------- Original message --------From: Cheryl Joyal <clmjoyal at gmail.com> Date: 4/5/18  12:24 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: hgrastorf at aol.com Cc: "callers at lists.sharedweight.net" <Callers at lists.sharedweight.net> Subject: Re: [Callers] Another dolphin surfaces
This has me intrigued….
But I don’t know what a “dolphin hey” is or how to teach ….. additional help appreciated.    Thanks - Cheryl

Cheryl Joyalclmjoyal at gmail.comclmjoyal@aol.com630-667-3284 (cell)