[Callers] Were These Dances Written Before?

Dugan Murphy dugan at duganmurphy.com
Wed Sep 27 15:36:58 PDT 2017

Does anybody recognize these two choreographical sequences as dances that
have already been written by someone else?  I came up with them yesterday,
but they look basic enough to be already-composed, so I want to give credit
where it is due if I'm not the first to land on these sequences.

"Hanging Out in Portland" by Dugan Murphy (improper, double progression)
A1 Neighbor right shoulder spiral/gypsy and swing (16)
A2 Gents Left Hand Allemand 1.5 (8) / Partner Pass Right to Start Half Hey
Across (8)
B1 Partner right shoulder spiral/gypsy and swing (16)
B2 Circle Left Three Places (7) - Partner Weave Left Past This Couple (3) -
Weave Right Past Second Couple (3) - Weave Left to Face 3rd Neighbor on the
Side (3)

"Get the Baby" by Dugan Murphy (improper, single progression)
A1 Neighbor Balance and swing (16)
A2 Gents Left Hand Allemand 1.5 (8) / Partner Pass Right to Start Half Hey
Across (8)
B1 Partner Balance and swing (16)
B2 Ladies Chain Across to Neighbor (8) / Left Hand Star Once (8)

"Hanging Out in Portland" came about while looking at "Valerie's Trip to
Portland" by Erik Weberg and "Leave Them Hanging" by Luke Donforth at the
same time.  "Get the Baby" is like a lot of basic star-progression dances,
but I guess I had "Get Me Going" by Lisa Greenleaf and "The Baby Rose" by
David Kaynor on my mind at the time when I was looking for a different
progression sequence to accompany the swing-allemand-hey-swing sequence.

Thanks, everybody

Dugan Murphy
Portland, Maine
dugan at duganmurphy.com