[Callers] Contra Dances with Modern Western Square Dance Figures

Jim Hemphill arcadian35 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 05:55:02 PDT 2017

*Mark,*

This contra has a miniaturized grand square for 4.

*Mini Grand Swing *improper  by Jim Hemphill
 To start, face your neighbor, 2's step apart, 1's step forward between
A1 Handy Hand allemande 1 1/2
     2's swing*
A2 Neighbor balance and swing
B1 Long lines
     1's swing, end with all facing across**
B2 Mini grand square, 1's apart, 2's come together. 1's up, 2's down.
     1's together, 2's apart. 1's down, 2's up and on to next.

Teaching Notes: * The transition between A1 and A2 is a bit unusual in that
couple 1 ends up slightly below couple 2 coming out of the handy hand
allemande, so it really works nicely for couple 2 to end their swing facing
down and gent 2 twirl the lady across to the neighbor for the swing.  For
the mini grand square have couple 1 remain close together and all face
their partner at the end of the couple 1 swing, use same rythm as a normal
grand square, 1,2,3, turn.  1's take 3 small steps apart then turn up set
while the 2's take 3 small steps together and turn down, couples take 3
small steps up/down hall then turn to face across: 2's take 3 steps apart
and turn up, 1's 3 steps together  then turn down: on the last leg couples
take 4 steps up/down to progress to next neighbors..  Emphasize dancers
travel up the outside and down the inside.

video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzj3sjGtBE

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Bob Green via Callers <