[Callers] Calling a Halloween dance tonight?

Amy Cann acann at putneyschool.org
Sat Oct 28 08:59:45 PDT 2017

Here's my annual bid to keep the dances of Rich Blazej out there; I try and
call his dances whenever I can and this one's a Halloween favorite, re-done
as "Werewolves and Zombies". First the original:

*Garfield's Escape* -- circle of couples PLUS ONE EXTRA in the center --
the Garfield

A1  All into the center EIGHT steps and back, menacing the Garfield
A2  Circle left, circle right

B1  Women (*werewolves*) promenade single file to the right, while men (
*zombies*) "star" by the right -- each man puts his right hand on right
shoulder of the man in front - including Garfield.

B2  Caller hollers "Escape!" (*"Boo!", or maybe "Braaaiiins*") and all men
run to the outside and swing with a woman in the outer circle. A new
Garfield remains in the center.

Rich himself named this after Garfield the comic-strip cat, way back when
he was cynical and funny (the cat, not Rich) --
"The single man remaining at the end of the dance is entitled to a pan of
lasagna and some fresh kitty litter".

My favorite normal tune for this is the minor jig *Coleraine*, played at a
slightly slower lurch-y tempo, but if I'm lucky the band'll do the Alfred
Hitchcock theme.

The thing that makes it is the *eight* counts in/out, the steps become
small and tiptoe-y/menacing -- it gives dancers space and time to throw in
all sorts of shenanigans, and each Garfield tends to try and top the last
with the quivering and shivering. Kids especially love making a grownup
cower.

Have fun, just thought I'd share -- and I'd love to hear how it goes if you
do it, and what variations emerge.

Cheers,
Amy