[Callers] Another non woven wave Gypsy Star dance

Martha Wild mawild at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 11 09:13:14 PDT 2017

I’ve got a gypsy star dance (I actually call it “Star Wrong” and not just because of the g-word, but because if you say “gypsy star” everybody starts to gypsy and NOT star, so I gave up on that confusing terminology). Haven’t seen another dance like it. The move from mad robin into the star wrong actually flows quite well.  I use men and women for roles, not genders. When I first started calling, we considered “lady” to be a four letter word - women’s movement and bra burning and all that. I still find it hard to use the word “lady” and not bristle. Times have changed, now people bristle at men and women. Go figure. I didn’t correct the “g-word” use on this version either.

The Wrong Star <>
Duple improper                                                                               July 3, 2015

A1    Mad robin, women to right in front
        Gypsy star 3/4 (star wrong) with women taking right hands, men left, women move forward

A2    Gypsy and swing your partner

B1    Four in line down the set, couple on left (2s) slide to right in front of couple 1, who slide to left^
        Turn alone and come back up, bend the line

B2    Balance in a circle, circle left 1/4*
        Swing your neighbor

*The circle 1/4 is merely a teachable way to have the men draw the women to their side along a circular path. I prefer this to just saying draw your neighbor to your side and swing, because I would like people not to be skewed relative to each other when the mad robin is to start.
^The "sliding glass door" approach to turning the four in line about is seen also in Erik Weberg's "Now We Are Four". I have the 2s moving in front of the 1s for the sliding glass door move as the #1 man’s role can lead the #2 woman’s role into the move as he passes behind her.

If interested, this and other dances are on my Google website https://sites.google.com/site/marthawildscallsofthewild/ <https://sites.google.com/site/marthawildscallsofthewild/>  which, for reasons that are obscure to me, and even though I’ve shared it as public, appears on no searches whatever, no matter how exactly I copy the name and more on it.

Martha