[Callers] Gender Free MWSD

Donna Hunt dhuntdancer at aol.com
Fri Oct 6 06:04:06 PDT 2017

Hi Jeremy:

Independence Squares is an LGBTQ and straight member group located in downtown Philadelphia with dancers from NJ, De and Pa. We run workshops and classes for all levels up to C2.

We use the terms Boys and Girls and everyone is free to dance whichever role they wish (gender free).  We do not use identifying bands or sashes.  We dance our roles by definition and if the caller directs us "Boys Run" (for example, or "Boys Fold") we identify ourselves "Boy" and then do the figure.

We create our sets, not by asking someone to dance, but by taking a place in the set and holding out the hand we'd like someone to take.  If I want to dance "Girl" then I hold out my left hand for a "Boy" to take.  If I'm "ambidanceterous" then I would hold out both hands and someone will join me who is able to do one role or the other.

Our callers are fantastic and I'm sure this isn't easy for them to call without visual identifiers, but calling by definition shouldn't need that...unless the sets get out of sorts.  If we're in a workshop situation and the sets get confused the callers will say "Boys (or Girls) Identify" and we raise our hands and the caller knows who's out of place.

Hope this is helpful.

 Donna Hunt