[Callers] Gender Free MWSD

Jeremy Child jeremy.m.child at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 10:54:20 PDT 2017

Hi

I have a question for anyone who calls or dances Gender Free MWSD (by
Gender Free I mean where no assumptions are made about what role a dancer
will take based on their gender).

I've been told that GF MWSD dances still use the terms "Boys" and "Girls",
but please correct me if I'm wrong.

MWSD is unique amongst folk dancing in that dancers need to know the role
being danced by others in the square (if I'm a "boy" and the call is "boys
trade", I need to know who the other boy in my line / wave is in order to
do the call).

So to my question: How do the dancers identify which roles the other people
are dancing? Traditionally this is done with dancers taking the opposite
role to their gender wearing bands, but that is surely inappropriate if the
dance is GF.

Also, if any MWSD clubs are using truly non-gendered terms, please let me
know.

Thanks in Advance

Jeremy
www.barndancecaller.net