[Callers] Put Your Red Hand In

Erik Hoffman erik at erikhoffman.com
Tue Nov 14 22:22:24 PST 2017

Great idea! I’ll use it, too.

~Erik Hoffman
   Oakland, CA

From: Callers [mailto:callers-bounces at lists.sharedweight.net] On Behalf Of Bree Kalb via Callers
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:58 PM
To: Caller's discussion list <callers at sharedweight.net>
Subject: Re: [Callers] Put Your Red Hand In

Brilliant idea; I plan to use it, too.

Bree Kalb
Carrboro. NC

On Nov 6, 2017 7:19 PM, "Rich Sbardella via Callers" <callers at lists.sharedweight.net<mailto:callers at lists.sharedweight.net>> wrote:
I had a Girl Scout Dance coming up Sunday and I was thinking how I would get 150 six to nine year old girls to know which hand was right and which hand is left.  On the way to my contra calling gig on Saturday, the thought arose that right hand sounds very close to red hand.  On the way to the Scout Dance, I stopped and purchased scissors and some red ribbon (the store did not carry yarn) and asked that the leaders tie a red ribbon bracelet around each scout as they entered the hall.  When I called dances with arm turns I called, "Turn your partner with your red hand, change hands, other way back."  It worked so well that I know I will do it again.

I thought I would share this trick, and then ask if anyone has useful methods when working with only children.  Please share some trade secrets.

Rich Sbardella
Stafford, CT