[Callers] Balancing left in a wave

Andrea Nettleton twirly-girl at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 8 12:54:33 PST 2017

Hi Maia,
A balance, ideally, is first toward, then away from, the dancer with whom one is about to interact, and even better if it is in, then against, the flow of movement.  Even better if the choreography does the work for you by flowing into the balance.
In this particular dance, you have the best of all worlds, but I slightly disagree with your preference.
The Allemande R has everyone flowing forward.  The flow of the Allemande L is also, fundamentally, forward.  In my opinion, a balance (gently) forward, and back, is ideal.  The choreography helps a little with a left first lean as you reach for the next person's L hand.  But in this case, I think the safe teach is for both balances to be forward and back.  Noting before you say F&B, that body flow is supported by that choice helps mark it in people's minds.  To further get people's minds away from the R balance, I'd not say R after the word balance at all, even if you decide to go for L instead of back..  You want them to only have in their heads words which reinforce the movement you want.  Well worth the extra moment to emphasize the gathering of LEFT hands with the next, and letting the body flow of the forward movement of the first Allemande to go into the balance Fwd.
if the following move had been, for example, a Rory o More, I would have completely agreed with the L balance, FWIW.  Body flow is partly there getting in, and the person you are interacting with and eventually moving past is on the L.
Good question.
Best,
Andrea

Sent from my external brain