[Callers] Self flagellation

Andrea Nettleton twirly-girl at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 6 13:37:45 PST 2017

I'm sure every caller has been there, just as every dancer was once new and stumbling, and no matter how long we've been doing it, every one of us will make mistakes.  You will take stock, and try to note patterns and correct them.  But striving for perfect is never going to result in being perfect.  I have come to believe the thing to strive for, in each moment, is joy.  In the moment of a mistake, if your forever goal is joy, you will automatically reach for your smile, your humor, the sparkle inside yourself, and share it with the dancers, and instead of you or anyone feeling bad, people will remember the spark, the warmth, that kept things spinning along.  If you catch yourself mid-flogging, you might could laugh at yourself for such a silly choice, and give yourself permission to think instead of a moment when you knew the dancers and band were all with you and that synergy was happening and be glad you could be part of it.
I have had to do a lot of self reflection as a result of things going badly when I'm on mic.  I have realized some profound things about myself as a result of thinking about my patterns as a caller.  They aren't just applicable in calling, but are one instance, in a big public forum, of patterns I have been acting out in all areas of my life forever.  Yep.  I'm working on them still, not just on stage, but all the time.  I think it's finally making a difference.  Those learning opportunities may go deeper than you think.  And the beating up only increases the chances of repeating the mistakes, or reacting negatively to new mistakes.  When you pick up the mic, reach inside for your place of joy, and share it.  Enjoy your work in progress.
-Andrea

Sent from my external brain