[Callers] New Dance? It's Indecent!

Jeremy Child jeremy.m.child at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 01:56:56 PDT 2017

Whilst trawling the archives, I came across Andrea Nettleton's description
of a California (or Nevada) Roll:

"*Partners take the handy hand, which is the Lady's R, the Gent's L, lift
joined hands, the lady curls in toward her partner and walks under while he
walks past, to swap, reverse direction, and face New Nbrs.  Not yet proper,
they immediately do a Roll Away with a Half Sashay to swap places but
continue to face the New Neighbors*"

I was fascinated by this idea of this move, so tried it out with some of my
more experienced dancers.  They struggled, mostly because the "Nevada
Twirl" (reverse California Twirl) is unusual for them, and the subsequent
roll away is "the wrong way round".

I still liked the move though, so I thought about doing the easier version
(California Twirl and Roll Away).  After a few false starts, I realised
that the best way to use it was in a dance where the couples start "the
wrong way round", i.e. 1s proper, 2s improper - a formation I know as
"Indecent".  So I came up with:

Indecent Proposal, by Jeremy Child
Formation: Indecent (longways duple minor, 2s improper)
A1: Neighbour Dosido & Swing
A2: Ladies Chain, Ladies pass R shoulder to Start a Hey for 4
B1: Finish the Hey, Partner Swing
B2: Circle Left 3/4, California Twirl & Roll Away across the set

Is this a new dance, or is there something already out there that's similar?

Jeremy
www.barndancecaller.net