[Callers] Difficult dancers - Decision to ask not to return

Rich Sbardella via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Mar 8 11:53:42 PST 2017

I have never asked a dancer not to return to a dance.

As a caller, organizer, and as a dancer, I have often suggested other dance
locations that might be more suitable for their skill level.  For instance,
I often refer dancers with difficulties to a the local community dance that
I organize, and sometimes call, or to smaller, beginner friendly dance
communities.

I have recently begun teaching six week Adult Ed sessions, that I call an
"Introduction to Traditional Country Dance".  Often these dancers/students
have dancers that would have trouble elsewhere.  With many, the issue is
that English is a second language, others have physical or other
challenges.

I also lead a seniors' community dance session weekly, and the dancers
range from 60-85 years old.  Most do well at community level dancing, and
several have danced at the local contra communities.

Both of the above situations afford newer dancers opportunities to learn
basics like Heys, Ladies Chain, Square Thrus, and Swings. in a less
intimidating environment.  They also allow for much more
repitition/drilling than at a typical contra dance evening.

I also suggest to these dancers that they attend the pre-dance workshops
even if they do not feel that they are necessary.  These workshops help
newer dancers adjust to the voice and style of the evening's caller, and
provide a quick review of many basics.

Despite all this, I have dancers that still freeze when they encounter a
R&L Thru in a dance, especially if there is a Ladies Chain, or a Square
Thru in the same dance.

Rich Sbardella,
Stafford, CT

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Mac Mckeever via Callers <