[Callers] What to do with a really bad new dancer?

Claire Baffaut via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Mar 7 14:44:36 PST 2017

John, I like what you said: "To do more certainly would be best with
permission, awareness of offered assistance."
This might be also be one of the way to give him/her a hint that there is a
problem and that we are willing to help solve the said problem.

Claire.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Ron Blechner via Callers <

> I'd love to hear suggestions on how to approach a dancer like the one in
> question, and broach the subject.
>
> -Ron Blechner
>
> On Mar 7, 2017 1:20 PM, "JD Erskine via Callers" <
>
>> On 2017-03-07 0627, Martha Wild via Callers wrote:
>>
>>> I’d like to add another point to Neal’s reasoning:
>>>
>>> As a 5 foot 1 inch woman dancer (and a caller), I can also add that the
>>> female of the human species is known to generally be smaller than the
>>> male.
>>>

>> major snip
>>
>> In general, then, it’s a lot
>>> easier for a big guy to gently direct a small mixed-up woman in the
>>> right direction, than it is for me to change the course of the Titanic
>>> once it starts blundering among the icebergs. That is definitely another
>>> reason people tend to notice the problem with male dancers more. But we
>>> have had at least one large dancing-challenged woman whose size made it
>>> equally difficult to direct - I occasionally tried dancing as the man
>>> with her, but gave it up because it hurt my arms too much.
>>>

>> Martha
>>>

>> George Marshall was in town in the autumn. A teaching point that stood
>> out for me in his pre-dance/inclusivity workshop was, that if someone is
>> still/stationary it's more difficult to move them or guide them to where
>> they might go.
>>
>> If someone is dancing (simply in motion of some sort), even if in a place
>> other than expected, they may be directed more easily.
>>
>> (I keep thinking an air-hockey table at work, however I'm from "up here".)
>>
>> If our male dancer in question is lumbering, stiff, not moving much, and
>> can/may move, then assisting him in that might help make it easier to
>> direct him more in the normal flow of the dance.
>>
>> To do more certainly would be best with permission, awareness of offered
>> assistance.
>>
>> Cheers, John
>> --
>> J.D. Erskine