[Callers] What to do with a really bad new dancer?

JD Erskine via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Mar 7 10:20:33 PST 2017

On 2017-03-07 0627, Martha Wild via Callers wrote:
> I’d like to add another point to Neal’s reasoning:
>
> As a 5 foot 1 inch woman dancer (and a caller), I can also add that the
> female of the human species is known to generally be smaller than the
> male.

major snip

> In general, then, it’s a lot
> easier for a big guy to gently direct a small mixed-up woman in the
> right direction, than it is for me to change the course of the Titanic
> once it starts blundering among the icebergs. That is definitely another
> reason people tend to notice the problem with male dancers more. But we
> have had at least one large dancing-challenged woman whose size made it
> equally difficult to direct - I occasionally tried dancing as the man
> with her, but gave it up because it hurt my arms too much.

> Martha

George Marshall was in town in the autumn. A teaching point that stood
out for me in his pre-dance/inclusivity workshop was, that if someone is
still/stationary it's more difficult to move them or guide them to where
they might go.

If someone is dancing (simply in motion of some sort), even if in a
place other than expected, they may be directed more easily.

(I keep thinking an air-hockey table at work, however I'm from "up here".)

If our male dancer in question is lumbering, stiff, not moving much, and
can/may move, then assisting him in that might help make it easier to
direct him more in the normal flow of the dance.

To do more certainly would be best with permission, awareness of offered
assistance.

Cheers, John
--
J.D. Erskine