[Callers] Dances Inspired by "Beneficial Tradition"

JD Erskine via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Mar 3 10:52:55 PST 2017

On 2017-03-03 1016, Bill Olson via Callers wrote:
> Dugan, Here are Dan's own notes regarding the dance.. not sure what the
> Steve Schnur dance is titled, someone on here certainly knows..:
>

> "I always loved this zig-zag gimmick when I danced it in Cor Hogendijk's
> "Pat's Tradition", done by English country dancers. A dance by Steve
> Schnur that featured it motiviated me to try my own. The dance was
> written for and first performed at the Dance Musician's Development Fund
> annual benefit dance. The Fund sprung out of a one-time benefit dance to
> help Susan Worland, a fine fiddler in Boston, replace her stolen
> instruments. From that, the Fund formed as a subcommittee of the Folk
> Arts Center of New England. At the annual DMDF dance (12 hours of varied
> dancing) funds are raised to benefit research and special projects for
> Boston-area dance musicians. The title gives a nod to "Pat's Tradition"
> and the beneficial tradition of the DMDF.
>

> "Little did I know that when the dance started getting around, people
> would start yelping, hooting, etc. during B2. I think this started in
> Philadelphia. They have my blessing! Certainly, the "pulls" in B2 should
> be done with strength, tension, and other good contra-type connection.
> Foot-stompers have my blessing, too! ;-)"
>

> bill

Further to Bills quote you'll find more from Dan on the figure
("interchanging waves" - Dan, not Steve), Steve's dance name of its
origin ("Winter of '82"), working with Steve ("Summer of '84"), in Mary
Darts piece on Contra dance choreography.

http://www.cdss.org/elibrary/dart/dance_composition_1.htm

Cheers, John
--
J.D. Erskine