[Callers] Looking for a particular sort of becket dance

Joy Greenwolfe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 29 20:19:58 PDT 2017

Hi Kalia,

I have a Becket contra dance I’ve used at Community dances that is very forgiving, yet has interesting movement. The only name I have for it is Luke Donev’s ONS Becket.

Luke Donev’s ONS Becket
Longways contra Becket formation

A1	Partner Dosido
	Partner Swing

A2	Long lines forward and back
	Neighbor Dosido across

B1	Circle R !
	Circle L (until back on the side of the set with partner)

B2	Long lines Yearn on L diagonal to new Neighbors, back up across from Ns.
	Star R with these new Neighbors (if there’s time) until back on the side of the set with your partner.

I have a note that Luke says if you “double yearn” to L diagonal Neighbors, and back out on the L diagonal, it becomes a double progression dance.
Of course, a full yearn actually passes two neighbors, but the dance can be adapted for either scenario: to new Neighbors for beginners, and a full yearn for a double progression for more experienced dancers.

When teaching this to newbees, I’ve taught the star as “if there’s time.” There’s usually time.

Joy Greenwolfe
Durham, NC