[Callers] Super easy dances - do they exist?

Linda S. Mrosko via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jun 17 09:31:53 PDT 2017

That Tony Parkes dance looks good, but I'd never be able to use it with
this crowd.  In years passed, I tried to teach them swings -- but I guess
everybody still has cooties at 18 years -- never worked -- plus, you have a
good number of girls dancing with girls and boys dancing with boys and it
makes some of them uncomfortable.  This is a crowd that, when I tell them,
let's make a big circle all around the room, they have trouble with the
concept of what a circle looks like.  Not to re-mention the acoustics.

As a contra dancer, I understand flow from figure to figure, but Swat the
Flea into a right shoulder DSD wasn't a problem with this crowd.

But thanks for sharing Tony's dance.  I don't remember ever seeing it
before.

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 4:55 AM, John Sweeney via Callers <

> Hi Linda,
>         Re your Box ‘n’ Swat:  I have a somewhat similar dance in my files:
>
> Circle Mixers Are Fun (by Tony Parkes)
>
> A1)     Into the Middle & Back x 2
>
> A2)     Partner Right Hand: Balance & Box the Gnat; Partner Dosido
>
> B1)     Partner Left Hand: Balance & Swat the Flea; Partner Seesaw (Left
> Shoulder Dosido) 1 & 1/2 to meet your New Partner
>
> B2)     New Partner Balance (OR Gypsy) & Swing
>
>         Note that your sequence of Swat the Flea into Dosido involves
> passing by the right when you are holding left hands.  Tony’s sequences
> above allow much easier flow and connection as you can pull past with the
> connected hand.
>
>         Last time I had the challenge of working with a room full of noisy
> youngsters (most of whom didn’t speak English) I just led by example,
> starting with a Grand March then did:
> Sausage (Circle) to the Left/Right (Till I was at the top)
> Long Lines Go Forward & Back
> Top couple Gallop Down (I just took the person opposite and galloped);
> Next Couple; Next Couple; Next Couple
> Repeat
>
>         Once they has used up a bit of energy I was able to get them to
> quiet down a bit!
>
> Happy dancing,
> John
>
> John Sweeney, Dancer, England john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362