[Callers] New Dance to Share

Winston, Alan P. via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 8 18:45:16 PDT 2017

I've called or danced this several times.  A fun variation is on B1, you
take hands as you step into the set in turn, then on bar 8 all jump or
back firmly (possibly with an "Oi!" or grunt) on beat 1 of bar 8.  It's
a good, goofy dance.

I was inspired (by my need at the time for five-person dances) to write
a variation, which I've never actually had a call to inflict on anybody.

THE LESSER WEEVIL
12/2/2004 Alan Winston
5-person-set, line of 2 facing line of 3
5x 32-bar jig, reel (contra sound for either), or waltz (!)
A tip of the hat to Richard Mason's "The Weevil"

A1: 1-4: Lines balance forward (step close) and back (step close), cross
over.
     5-8: The same back to place.

A2: 1-2: Stepping into "waves" with hands up and joined, balance forward and
          back.
     3-4: Allemande right with right-hand neighbor (if any).
     5-8: Waves balance f+b, allemande left into line (no hands).

B1: 1-4: Right-hand neighbors do-si-do back into line
     5-8: Four changes of a Right shoulder straight hey for five
(progressive).

B2: 1:  Top person jumps out to THREE side.
     2:  Next person jumps out to TWO side.
     3:  Next person jumps out to THREE side.
     4:  Next 2 people jump out to correct side (having had time to
figure it
         out).
    5-8: 2s swing each other WHILE 3s basket or circle 3; open in the
same position you started the swing.

-- Alan