[Callers] Another vote for "jets" and "rubies"

Michael Barraclough via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jan 28 23:26:36 PST 2017

On Fri, 2017-01-27 at 09:04 -0500, Angela DeCarlis via Callers wrote:
And many people are fine with things the way they are! I get that, and
that's great for you, but why on earth wouldn't you change things if it
meant being more inclusive, more just?

I understand that from your perspective we would be more inclusive if
we used gender-free terminology. It is my belief, however, that the
majority of the population would see the use of gender-free terminology
for roles as something that 'excluded' them - additional terms used by
a private club of people with their own rituals, kind of like masonry.
They can understand why we might need funny terms for the moves. They
cannot understand why we need funny terms for people when (as far as
they are concerned) we already have perfectly good terms -
men/gents/blokes and women/ladies/sheilas etc. From their perspective
it is definitely not 'inclusive'.

Michael Barraclough
www.michaelbarraclough.com