[Callers] What dance series are using what gender-free terms?

Marie-Michèle Fournier via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Jan 27 05:42:03 PST 2017

I've been meaning to answer but since it doesn't quite fit your spreadsheet
I'll just write it here.
ContraMontreal has two dance series. Our "Big Dances" rely on guest callers
and since the contract (I believe) doesn't say anything about role names
they default to Gents/Ladies.
But we also have a "Community dances" series that rely on a Callers'
collective where we've been using both Gents/Ladies and Jets/Rubies on the
same night.

We've started having some dances in the evening called in French and we use
the translation to Jets/Rubies too, which is conveniently Jais/Rubis. I
also have just learned that the Paris, France contradance is using the
translation to Leads/Follows (Guideurs/Suiveurs).

Now I know we shouldn't choose our preferred dance role names because of
their translation ease, but just for kicks, here are the translations:
- Gents/Ladies: there is no good translation to Gents, the closest is
Monsieurs. Québécois folk uses Hommes/Femmes (Men/Women) or sometimes
Hommes/Dames.
- Larks/Ravens: Alouettes/Corbeaux
- Leads/Follows: Guideurs/Suiveurs (problematic because this is an
adjective and is already gendered masculine). Note that in Swing Dancing
they translate this as Cavaliers/Cavalières
- Jets/Rubies: Jais/Rubis
- Bands/Bares: Brassards/Bras Nus
- Oaks/Maples: Chênes/Érables
- Port/Starboard: Babord/Tribord

If you didn't know, every word is gendered in French, even things, which
adds a challenge when trying to have a gender-free approach. No convenient
singular "They" here, we had to invent a new pronoun!

Have a nice day!
Marie
ContraMontreal

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Jeff Kaufman via Callers <