[Callers] Another vote for "jets" and "rubies"

Angela DeCarlis via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jan 18 08:40:34 PST 2017

When I called at PICD (the Portland ME dance), I really enjoyed using Jets
and Rubies. One silly thing I enjoyed any the terms during the beginners'
lesson was coaching palm direction based on the terms: "Jets' palms face
up, towards the sky; Rubies' palms face down, towards the ground."

And yes, I realize that *both* are gemstones and that some feel strongly
that we should steer away from the "airplane" association, but it did make
for easy teaching.

Jets and Rubies is also more forgiving for callers new to gender-neutral
language, since the terms are so linguistically comparable to Gents and
Ladies.

That all said, I also like Larks and Ravens fine.

Happy calling, everyone!

Angela