[Callers] Four face fours

Luke Donforth via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jan 7 19:01:14 PST 2017

Hello all.

It's been a while since I've had enough folks at a house party to really
walk through a 4x4 dance, so I'm sending this out for comment: I'm trying
to increase my repertoire of accessible and entertaining 4x4s (my double
reverse progression 4x4, etc, not qualifying)

This one is in the "Midwestern Folklore" and "Will You Mary Me?" tradition
of being two nearly identical halves.

Plow and Cross Stitch
by Luke Donforth
Contra/Four Facing Four

A1 -----------
(8) Lines of four, forward and back
(8) Women's Chain up & down to facing neighbor
A2 -----------
(8) 1/2 Hey up & down, women passing right shoulders
(8) Neighbor swing (end facing partner, Women's line of direction; men
opposite initial facing.)
B1 -----------
(8) Women's Chain up and down to partner, power turn to face trail buddy
couple
(8) 1/2 Hey across, women passing right shoulders
B2 -----------
(16) Partner balance and swing

It could go lines of four again in B1, then the chain and power turn, with
B2 being half hey and just a swing; but I figured try for the partner
balance and longer swing.

I'd appreciate hearing folks thoughts (too repetitive? too disorienting?
basically X's dance Y), as well as your own favorite 4x4s; and why. My
personal favorite is Rick Mohr's "Dance All Night", because you get a grand
right and left in a contra.

Take care,

--
Luke Donforth