[Callers] Increased number of community dance requests?

Tony Parkes via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Feb 22 11:24:02 PST 2017

Luke Donforth wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a bump in requests for community/family dances? I feel like the last month or so, there's been an uptick in schools and community centers requesting them. Could be a local fluctuation, or something bigger. Anyone else getting that impression?

I suspect it varies from one region to the next, but who knows? You may be onto something. Beth and I are getting more calls this year, both from dance series around central New England and from schools, houses of worship, and other community groups.

A few years ago we noticed a similar uptick in private parties; we thought that might be because at least some of the more affluent families had weathered the financial crisis of 2008 and were starting to spend money on nonessentials again. I don’t know what’s causing the current bump, unless it’s people wanting to foster a feeling of community in the face of the current divisive political – and in some cases social – climate.

Tony Parkes
Billerica, Mass.
www.hands4.com<http://www.hands4.com>
New book! Square Dance Calling: An Old Art for a New Century
(to be published Spring 2017)