[Callers] Role term survey responses

Read Weaver via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Feb 13 09:01:30 PST 2017

I occasionally teach but don’t call, so I don’t have cards—there are GF ECD callers on the list who may have more to add.

First, a lot of ECDs are written without any reference to gender anyway—the dances often just work like that.

An example of a conversion: Fried de Metz Herman’s The Archbishop (a 4-couple set dance) begins
First man and fourth woman cast L one place
which becomes
Long first diagonals cast L one place

Three words instead of five, it references a twosome rather than two individuals, and places them in a context, better (I’d argue) showing the pattern of the whole dance. And imagine calling using the original version.
(btw, I’m looking at someone else’s description of the dance—I don’t know how Fried wrote it. But someone is describing it the first way.)

Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org