[Callers] ACK! First time calling night of *squares* -- any last minute advice?

Meg Dedolph via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Feb 6 07:01:55 PST 2017

Tips I found that helped me, presented in random order:

Pick one or two squares to watch, preferably with more experienced dancers,
and call to them. It will help with the timing.

When I started calling squares, a friend helpfully pointed out that I was
waiting for the tops of the musical phrases to roll around again before
starting the next figure, and that meant people were sometimes standing
around during a square and that was Not Fun, so I had to learn to let go of
the idea that figures had to begin with the musical phrase, like they do in
contras.
That turned out to be hard for me to do, fyi. Your mileage may vary.

Other advice I've gotten is to start with New England squares, which are
assembled in 8 and 16 count phrases like contras.

If you're unsure about how the timing works, it can be very educational to
call a square while you're dancing it. I've had to do that a few times,
where there are only seven dancers, and it really taught me a lot about
when to start calling various figures. Make a pot of chili and invite seven
friends over?

Finally, I find that the First Night Quadrille, by Bob Dalsemer, is a great
square to have in your box if you don't already. Easy to teach to
beginners, call without a walkthrough for more advanced dancers and have
fun.

Oh! So a common break is allemande left your corner, face your partner,
grand right and left.
I have better luck teaching that to beginners if I teach the grand right
and left first and *then* add the allemande left, rather than teach it in
the sequence it's presented in the dance.

I have no more advice. Good luck! You'll have a great time!
Meg

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 12:08 PM Jonathan Sivier via Callers <