[Callers] Etiquette of refusing an offer to dance

Kalia Kliban kalia.kliban at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 12:18:44 PST 2017

On 12/16/2017 12:01 PM, Alexandra Deis-Lauby wrote:
> This is Cdny’s etiquette page. It addresses saying no but not in great
> detail in terms of historical practice.
>
> http://cdny.org/what-is-contra/contra-etiquette/

And I hadn't realized until this conversation with my dance friend just
how problematic that earlier etiquette practice was for folks who really
wanted to be considerate of the other dancers on the floor.  If they
were, for whatever reason, concerned that someone might not want to
dance with them, the mere act of asking that person to dance put the
askee in a bind.  So those who started dancing in the time period when
that rule was the norm have carried that dilemma with them through the
years.

Those of you who are organizers and who deal with setting standards of
conduct for your communities, what are your thoughts about this?  Has
that rule completely fallen by the wayside?  If so, have any of you
specifically addressed its demise?

Kalia