[Callers] Name that dance (5-cpl, square+middle)

Michael Dyck jmdyck at ibiblio.org
Tue Dec 5 12:21:58 PST 2017

On 2017-12-04 12:45 PM, Linda S. Mrosko via Callers wrote:
> I had forgotten about this square.  It looked so familiar.  Years and years
> ago, Kathy Anderson called this square at a dance event I attended.  My
> notes show it as "English Dance for Five Couples."  I loved this dance!
>
> Forgive my note-taking from so long ago:
>
> _The Formation_:
> Middle couple is C1 and they face the music.
> Outside couples shift left 1/8 so they are diagonal to the music.
> C1 stands back to back -- M1 faces 4 on his right and W1 faces the 4 on her
> left.

Inga Morton, in her 1994 book "Square Dance Century", presents 7 dances in
this formation, named "Throw a Fiver, Nos. 1 - 7". They all have the same B
part, in which the 4 'right and left through' figures end with a new couple
in the center position.

> _The Dance_:
> C1 circles left with the 4 they face (2 separate circles)
> Within the same groups, just the 3 gents Star Right (M1 with the 2 gents he
> circled with) while the 3 women Star Right (W1 with the 2 ladies she circled
> with)
>
> C1 meet and change groups (M1 dances w/the 4 people W1 danced with and W1
> dances with the 4 people M1 danced with); repeat circles and stars
> [followed by R+L throughs to progress]

This is similar to "Throw a Fiver, No. 4".

> On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Yaron Shragai via Callers
> <callers at lists.sharedweight.net <mailto:callers at lists.sharedweight.net>> wrote:
>

>     Formation: square with a cpl in the middle (i.e. 5 cpls)
>     A: [R+L throughs to progress]
>     B:
>     Couples currently along up/dn axis (heads+middle) turn back on ptnr, now
>     all can form 2 rings of 5, circle L/R;
>     Ptnr swing (some ppl may have to spin around to find Ptnr)

That is similar to "Throw a Fiver, No. 1".

-Michael