[Callers] New Dance?

Ric Goldman - Letsdance via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Aug 4 17:34:01 PDT 2017

Hi John,

My dictionary describes "A chevron is an inverted V-shaped mark. The word is usually used in reference to a kind of fret in architecture, or to a badge or insignia...".  I think of it as an upside down V movement  (^).

(All examples here for a longways duple.)

I assume you're referring to the use in English Country Dance, such as for Companions (see http://archives.mvfolkdancers.com/2013-11-23%20MVFD%20English%20Country%20Dance%20Syllabus%20-%20Brad%20Foster.pdf).  In this case it's only the 1st corner (1M & 2W) people doing the chevron movement, and in fact they actually only turn left 1/8 because they are backing up "straight across the set" instead of at the angle in the beginning of the movement.  Often this "half chevron" uses 8 counts.  4 on the diagonal, 4 backing up.  As I read it, the 2nd corners are not doing a chevon, just a wait-and-cast.

I've also seen the term "full chevron" used when *all* dancers come forward toward opposite corner (end almost nose-to-nose) then *all* turn 1/4 (90 degrees) left and back up along the other diagonal (also used in ECD, also usually an 8-count movement).

In another case, the movement of the a circle set balancing-in-and-out while rotating CW (left), was described by the caller teaching it as a "ring chevon".  I'll admit that that case didn't make much sense to me, but that's just me.

The "chevron" movement in this dance is closer to the full chevron, but only has 4  counts, with everyone holding hands, using balance steps, and rotating the entire time.  To me, the phrase "Balance the Ring, Spin the Ring" sounds like the rotate doesn't happen until beat 3, but I think it would work as a call if the dancers know what's expected of them.

Here's sort've the stop-motion in Fried Rice (all begin on their opposite side than their initial duple improper position):
M2  W2
W1  M1

After the 2-count balance in (women face up/dn the set, men face across):
    W2
M2  M1
    W1

After the 2-count balance out (every has rotated one place CCW around the set):
W2  M1
M2  W1

After the 4-count petronella (all are progressed, but now facing new/next neighbors):
M1  W1
W2  M2

On a personal note, once the dancers associate the movement with the term "chevron", it makes it easy for me to call the last sequence as "Chevron, Petronella 1-1/2", or perhaps "Ring Chevron Right, Petronella".

I suppose we could call it a Foobar or anything else and demo it.  Whatever gets the idea across.  When I've used the "chevron" term, dancers seem to get it faster.  Go figure.  😊

Your mileage may vary, but the fun should be constant, Ric Goldman