[Callers] Genderless calling

Tony Parkes via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Aug 1 12:25:07 PDT 2017

Amy Wimmer wrote:
<< I recently had the opportunity to call a contra to a group of rank beginners in a difficult situation: outdoors, on sloping concrete, without amplification for either myself or the band, to people not expecting a dance, with a band mostly unfamiliar with either contra or fiddle tunes, who had no opportunity to practice or choose tunes. >>

Congratulations on getting through an event with *multiple* challenges and achieving a result that was heartening and encouraging.

<< The organizers wanted to use the terms "cows" and "chickens" instead of any other usual terms for dancers. When they arrived at the party each person chose a name tag with either a cow or a chicken on it. They didn't know it, but this determined which role they'd play in the dance. I arbitrarily chose to "put the chicken on the right, because the chicken is always right." (I keep chickens, and they ARE always right) >>

I’ve used “farmers” and “cowhands” in similar situations; the faRmeRs are on the Right. But I like your chicken mnemonic.

<< There was not time for much of a lesson, either. It'd have been much easier if everyone had joined the dance at the beginning. >>

Lesson? I never use a lesson with non-dancers. Each dance is complete in itself. But then I never use duple contras at a gig like this. Is that what you used? (Depending on the group, it’s perfectly possible to teach a duple. But almost always, the teach ends up being longer than the dance. I prefer dances I can teach in 60 to 90 seconds.)

Tony Parkes
Billerica, Mass.
www.hands4.com<http://www.hands4.com/>
New book! Square Dance Calling: An Old Art for a New Century
(to be published real soon)