[Callers] Ladies Chain to Allemande Left (Was: Does this dance already exist?)

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Apr 13 15:57:49 PDT 2017

On Apr 13, 2017, at 3:09 PM, John Sweeney  wrote:

> 	Ladies' Chain to Allemande Left is actually the original version of
> the Ladies' Chain!  I believe that the Courtesy Turn was added sometime late
> in the 19th century, or maybe in the first half of the 20th century.

At a workshop I attended a number of years ago, Colin Hume pointed
out that the dance "Parson's Farewell", published in the first
edition of Playford's _The English Dancing Master_ (1651) includes
an action that is plausibly an early version of the Ladies' Chain.
You can see it about 0:49-0:58 in this videa

     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X4wpEIOZIM

and you can read the description (which has been variously interpreted,
as you can see if you look for other videos of the dance) here:

     http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/013small.html

I'd be interested in knowing of the earliest sources anyone can find
with a description or illustration of the modern "courtesy turn".
That would include any reference in which a dancing master admonished
men against putting their hands on the ladies' backs during a "Ladies'
Chain" or a "Right and Left".  I figure that a dancing master wouldn't
publish an admonishment against such a thing unless he has reason to
think some people were doing it.

--Jim