[Callers] Boys and Girls

Neal Schlein via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Sep 29 06:41:42 PDT 2016

Lessons are a different ball of wax, especially if you are teaching both
roles to everyone.  Sashes seem reasonable there.  I'm talking about
dancers at the competent level and above at a normal dance.

The speed and complexity of squares makes visual signifiers too slow and
unhelpful; facing someone of the same gender could be correct, so all you
can really be responsible for is your own position.

As for calling to groups that role swap mid-square: that was my question,
too, when I was warned about a group.  The caller just grinned and wished
me good luck.  I've picked out a few solutions, some better than others.

1. Know if it is likely in advance.
2. Ask one set to be nice and dance pilot.
3. Only use modules for that group.
4. Pre-choreograph everything (common in southern AZ)
5. Watch at least two, or even three, sets for agreement if anything ever
looks odd.  (A good idea anyway in case your pilot square breaks)
6. Keep it simple.
7. Call so fast they don't have time to fool around. (Can backfire!)
8. Embrace and encourage it during a particular square.
9.  Watch a square that isn't smiling/is mostly older or serious.
10. See #1.  Don't worry about it and just keep calling.  If there is an
actual problem, they'll tell you.

Beginners don't do it--it's the folks who know enough to be dangerous.
Neal