[Callers] Boys and Girls

Jeremy Child via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Sep 27 08:23:55 PDT 2016

Thanks Rich.

Agreed, in the MSWD Community the terms are generally not a problem, but in
the same way that in the contra dance community they weren't a problem 20
years ago.

What is a problem is that whilst women can dance the boys role, for men to
dance the girls role is frowned upon unless the alternative is not enough
for a square.  I like dancing the girls role as well as the boys, but
rarely get to do so.  I say it's a problem - but only I seem to see it as
one.  Everyone else is too busy tutting at me for donning a pink sash and
dancing lady.  Rather reminiscent of what Contra was like not so many years
ago.

In the UK we rarely see role-swapping in MWSD.  Men hardly ever dance as
girls, and women who dance as boys usually do so exclusively.  There is
little true swapping, whereby a person might dance girl one time and boy
the next.

It IS generational, but also one of the reasons MWSD is struggling to
survive.  Change must come if MWSD is to continue, and if we leave it too
late, then, well, it will be too late.  There will be no community left to
carry on the dancing.  For all the reasons mentioned, change will be hard,
so we need to start sooner rather than later.

I also believe the gender norms contribute to the current inability of most
MWSD dancer to do moves from anything other than normal positions -
something Callerlab *is* concerned about.

Perhaps I should lobby Callerlab!

Jeremy
www.genderfreedance.net