[Callers] Chains: the other side of the coin

Maia McCormick via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Sep 6 14:46:47 PDT 2016

Andrea said:
> but address gender issues where they originate, in the expectation that
men dance left, women right.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should be unraveling "the expectation that
men dance left, women right"--but many of the callers on this list have
been trying to do just this for a very long time and are only seeing
limited success, because ultimately the choice of which role to dance comes
down to every individual dancer, informed as they are by their own
experience, opinions, context, etc.

To me, this seems the whole point of Tavi's proposal: that if we want
people to know how to flourish respectfully, then we might go about this by
putting everyone in a position to flourish (or decline flourishes--but
still, to at least be on the receiving end of flourish requests, so they
have a better sense of how flourishes that they themselves initiate will
feel to the person they're dancing with). You point out, and rightly so,
that the best solution to this problem, and the one that gets straight to
the heart of the issue, is to do away with gendered expectations of the
roles entirely, but there's only so much a caller can do to this end--we
can't force individual dancers' role choices, and there are some folks who
are not willing to dance a different role than the one they
learned/regularly dance. Tavi's suggestion is something that callers CAN do
to spread flourishing experience around without forcing the choices of
individual dancers, and that's why I'm so intrigued by it.

Though Tavi, I wonder, would your proposal here be equally as effective if
we called more gents' right-hand chains? Even as an experienced dancer I
find the left-hand chain counterintuitive, and yes it would be second
nature if we did it a lot, but as far as points about having too much to
teach beginners already, I would expect it to be easier for everyone to
learn the other part of a move and a flow they already know than a
different move entirely (i.e. I would rather endeavor to teach beginners a
gents' right-hand chain than a gents' left-hand chain).

Andrea said:
>  I'll look again at the left hand chain choreo, but as I remember it,
none of it is particularly exceptional and worthy outside of the left
chain, which right now seems novel, but if we did it all the time, would
not seem special at all.

By the same token, there's nothing particularly novel about right-hand
chains except the way in which they fit into the moves around them. Unless
you're suggesting that we NOT call left-hand chains in order to preserve
the novelty value when we DO call them, I don't understand how this is an
argument against Tavi's point.

My contributions to the gents' chain pile:
PB&J by Bill Olson <http://www.billolsondance.com/pbj.html>, as close as
I've seen to a "glossary dance" for a gents' chain
Too Many Joshes <http://contra.maiamccormick.com/dances.html#toomanyjoshes>,
one of mine, which includes both a left-hand chain and a right-hand chain
for the gents.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Andrea Nettleton via Callers <