[Callers] Headset mics, take two ("they're small")

JD Erskine via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Sep 5 23:36:31 PDT 2016

On 2016-09-05 2012, Kalia Kliban via Callers wrote:
> I sent this last week but got a message from Dave Casserly telling me
> the message had been marked as spam, so I'm guessing it mostly
> disappeared into everyone's lint filter.  I've read the previous threads
> on headsets going back to 2014 and there aren't a lot of specifics.
> JoLaine, if you're reading this, I'd love to know what model you use.
> You mentioned that it was a Shure and that you loved it.  And Rich
> Sbardella mentioned last year that his Shure had been giving him
> trouble.  Rich, what model is yours, and are you happy with your
> replacement?
>
> Here's the mail from last week, to get those of you who didn't see it on
> the same page with those who did:

> Hi all
>
> I was just working a wedding gig and my old Samson headset mic crapped
> out.  If the piano player hadn't had hers along, I would have been in
> serious trouble.  Time for a new and more reliable headset mic.  I use
> my hands a LOT when I'm doing ONS gigs, so a handheld cordless isn't an
> option for me.

snip

Hullo Kalia,

The message came through fine for me. I didn't have anything to offer at
that time, other than to suggest joining/asking on the CSF - Contra
Sound Forum, where a number of callers hang out with the sound
engineers, sometimes to ask about this kind of thing. Usually to ask
this. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/contrasf/

A band and I just worked a wedding Saturday past (two days back) and a
band member rented a wireless mic for me . It ended up being a
lightweight headset & bodypack style that appears to be one of the "Line
6" products, either a XD55HS or XDV75HS.

local examples:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/17648/Pro_Audio_Recording/Wireless/Line_6/XD55HS_Digital_Wireless_Headset_Mic_System.htm

https://www.long-mcquade.com/17680/Pro_Audio_Recording/Wireless/Line_6/XDV75HS_Digital_Wireless_Headset_Mic_System_-_Tan.htm

The mic headset configuration didn't seem quite like these. I like what
these look like and will check it out in the store. Without much
familiarisation time, or a manual, I was just happy to get it going. I
worked out a number of things pretty quickly which speaks to a
straightforward enough User Interface (for my mind type/processing style.)

The digital audio sounded fine/like me. I worked out the mute button
quickly and found I only needed to guard it when retaking the stage from
having been on the floor. I had next to no feedback problems while out
front of the speakers.

Unfortunately the batteries provided had some use and crapped out during
the gig, just before the break, so we went to a corded mic for that
dance and the next set, with me stuck on stage. It was a Scottish
ceilidh gig so I just berated folks some and it all worked out
exceedingly well. (For the North Americans - joke! Mostly. <g>)

I'd have liked to have tried the headset as shown in the photos at the
links. That'd probably feel more secure to me. The mic end of the boom I
had was much thinner, and took a bit of bending to get close enough for
my satisfaction with the sound. I'd probably prefer a slightly bulkier,
silkier and shorter cable for strength and for it to "behave" rather
than what seemed somewhat thin and mildly misbehaving to me.

All in all the important bit, that it sounded good/was highly
intelligible, was met.

I'm not sure I like that it's in the 2.4 GHz ISM band. It's true it 1.
requires no license, and 2. is coordinated world wide, however there are
more sources of potential interference than the listed "TV broadcast,
white space devices and cell phone towers". This has shown up in some
reviews that popped up while looking for more info.

I'll likely be looking at a purchase of a wireless mic system in this
next year. This experience was good as it was more hands-free time to
throw into the comparison as I crawl toward a decision on type. I'll be
reading all the responses/contributions.

I wish Heil made a headset/wireless system. Ooh, it appears they make
microphone capsules (RC22 and RC35 at least) that fit other mfc.
_handheld_ microphone grip/transmitters. Hmm.

Cheers, John

PS before sending this off I had a look for more info beyond my own
market about Line 6 and found manuals and of course their site.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/
http://line6.com/wireless-microphone-system/

Wish I'd had the manual before the gig! It turns out there is a monitor
for state of the battery in the transmitter, on the _receiver_ front
panel. Wow.
--
J.D. Erskine
Victoria, BC