[Callers] Chains: the other side of the coin

Ron Blechner via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Sep 5 20:38:37 PDT 2016

Tavi,

Thanks for opening discussion on this topic.

I'd like to propose that we call the move what it is: "chain", and we stop
calling left-hand chains as "gents chains" and right-hand chains as "ladies
chains" for two important reasons:

1. No other common move in contra has the role in the move. It's "chain",
being prompted to "ladies", the same way there's no difference between a
"gents allemande left" and a "ladies allemande left". In genderfree
contras, callers certainly don't prompt, "Rubies, ladies chain" - they swap
the role, because that's the role *prompt*, not actually part of the move
name.
2. For moves that have a left and right version, there are two conventions,
none of which "gents/ladies chain" follows. The conventions are:

A. Having two totally different move names. This is often ignored and
prompted like "left shoulder dosido" instead of see-saw, leading me to
think that having mirrored moves with different names is less useful than
the other convention.......
B. The move name is the base, and the direction is a modifying prefix or
suffix to a prompt* Star, allemande, balance, etc. (Technically, the "hey"
as well, since you indicate who-passes-which-shoulder-first). Often, any of
these moves, once walked through, are prompted vanilla-flavored, without
the direction modifier, because the hand/direction is obvious. (Gents,
allemande left, pass your partner, hey for four...)

It seems intuitive then that "chain" falls into the latter category, and
should be treated as such.
The move is "chain", and there's a left and right handed version, and the
handedness is usually unnecessary because the role of the people doing it
will make the hand used to pull-by obvious. But for calling card notation,
the handedness is useful to notate.

As someone who's been writing and calling gents right-hand chain dances, I
see the pros and cons of the gents left-hand chain as follow:

Pros:
1. An extra move that can flow into a gents-pass-L / gents alle R / etc
next move - so there are new combinations to find.
2. More variation in general. More moves to play with.

Cons:
1. Another Clockwise-rotation move that is less usable than a
counter-clockwise move. A left-hand chain is simply not as useful as a
right-hand chain for this reason.
2. As Aahz pointed out, we're accustomed to twirling with right-hands, and
so left-hand twirling is new and unusual.
3. A right-hand chain is just ... a chain. And in dances where you get
role-swapping, you need to do zero-to-little teaching of a gents right-hand
chain.

So rather than promote the left-hand chain, I would broaden any support to
be for doing *all* chains.

Best,
Ron

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM, tavi merrill via Callers <