[Callers] Positive values on the mic

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Oct 31 11:55:23 PDT 2016

I like to say things to promote the custom of frequent partner
changes.  So after a dance, I would say at least

     Thank your partner and find a partner for the next contra
     [or "... for a waltz" or whatever is next].

and more likely

     ... and find someone new for ...

or

     ... switch around ...

and perhaps at some point early in the evening

     ... and as usual [or "as is our custom"*] find someone new ...

[*When I first heard "as is our custom" said by Ted Sannella, it
struck me that by injecting those four words, said in a relaxed
tone and taking about two seconds to say, he'd gotten the point
across as effectively, and far more pleasantly, than somebody could
with a two-minute harangue on the subject.]

To be clear, if I see some dancers (new or experienced) who came as
a couple and seem glued together, I will not by any means attempt
to *pressure* them to separate and dance with different partners.
But I do want to empower people to feel comfortable mingling.  In
particular, I don't want dancers who are new and unfamiliar with
the prevailing customs to have the agony of wondering

    "If I don't keep this partner for the next dance, will (s)he
    think I didn't like dancing with her/him?"

or conversely

    "My partner just thanked me and then ran off to dance with
    someone else.  Did I do something wrong?"

Also, if new dancers are worried about imposing their klutziness on
experienced dancers, they will perhaps be less timid about making
or accepting an offer to dance if they understand that it's only
expected to be for one dance.

And finally, if someone asks a member of one of those glued-together
couples for a dance, I hope that even if they say "No", awareness
that most people are mingling will keep them from being affronted
by the invitation.

--Jim