[Callers] Square dance calling book - What would you like to see?

Tony Parkes via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Oct 26 12:02:47 PDT 2016

[Posted to Shared Weight callers' list and trad-dance-callers list, simultaneously but separately so replies won't go to both lists]

This message is for those of you who call squares, or have thought you might like to call squares. The rest of you may allow your attention to wander.

I'm writing a book on calling squares in what I think of as neo-traditional style (the style, borrowing from many regional traditions but compatible with contra handholds and timing, that callers tend to use on the contra circuit). It will be at least as long as my contra calling text (300 pages), but will include more repertoire than the contra book, as it seems to me that squares in general, and good squares in particular, are harder to find these days than contras and good contras.

I've reached a stage where I know pretty well what I want to cover, but I want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything. So...

What would you like to see in such a book (assuming you'd buy and/or read it)? What aspects of calling squares are you particularly interested / excited / terrified about?

Public and private replies are welcome. Thanks for your interest and your feedback.

Tony Parkes
Billerica, Mass.
www.hands4.com<http://www.hands4.com>