[Callers] Caller Directory - in development

Luke Donforth via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Oct 22 13:07:12 PDT 2016

Hello all,

When I get an inquiry about calling for a gig that I can't do, I often
refer them to the same handful of local callers that I know. But it's not
always the most useful if the inquiry came from far away.

I've been thinking about trying to create a caller database; with
geographic home-base of caller and contact information.

I know there are lists of callers out there, such as Charlie's excellent
contra dance links and Dance Gypsy. I was thinking it would be useful to
have it in database format where it could be sorted and filtered.

I'd also like for folks to be able to submit themselves, as opposed to
having to compile them.

​I've taken a first pass at creating a google form that allows people to
submit information; with a linked spreadsheet that would allow people to
filter based on what they're looking for (both geographically and dance
style). My hope is to eventually develop a front end to help filter that
information, but for now I'm just sharing it in a database.

As a caller, would you fill it out? As an organizer, would you use it? Is
there any information I've missed that you'd want, or something I've
included you'd rather not have?

The survey is at:
https://goo.gl/forms/62beEKCKsyysepGk1

The spreadsheet of (currently sparse) results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZIWfYyFwMHHm6MpyMCD_N8ssQcOD5s6ynduDDQUvsmQ/edit?usp=sharing

I'd appreciate feedback on the survey; as well as a folks filling it out to
see how useful filtering the database is (and eventually test the front
end).

Thanks!

--
Luke Donforth