[Callers] Contra Friendly Squares

Tony Parkes via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Oct 20 09:10:40 PDT 2016

Tom Hinds wrote:
> There are many reasons some contra dancers don't like squares.  One
> is that they take a long time to teach.

_Some_ squares take a long time to teach with any group, because they're complex even by square dance standards. Other squares take longer to teach to contra dancers than to people used to squares. I try to avoid both types if I'm doing one or two squares in an evening of contras.

There are squares that can be taught to contra dancers in roughly the same amount of time as, say, a contra with good flow but a high piece count.

> For some squares it's a good idea to walk through the figure for both the heads and sides.

True, because the two parts are so different. I avoid squares like that with contra groups unless I'm very sure of my audience.

> Depending on the caller and dancers a full length break may be taught as well.

I've seen this done way too often. I firmly believe that this practice is a major reason some contra dancers don't like squares.

Full-length square dance breaks belong in square dance workshops (e.g. at dance weeks or weekends where people are open to different material). A modern contra dance evening is no place for them. People already think squares take a long time to teach, even though that's not necessarily true. Why double the teaching time when you don't have to? If you're not comfortable ad-libbing your breaks (a major reason callers give for teaching the break), memorize two or three simple breaks that contra dancers can do without a walkthrough.

> I also highly recommend squares written by Tony Parkes.  He's written
> many that are accessible and at the same time interesting.

That's always my goal when I write material. (Thanks for the plug, Tom.) If anyone is interested, I have two collections (Shadrack's Delight and Son of Shadrack), available at hands4.com, that each contain about 20 squares. In addition, I'm about to give away the farm by publishing the bulk of my personal square dance repertoire. (Well, maybe not give it away... but sell it way too cheap.) Watch for my new square-calling text and accompanying CDs with calls.

Tony Parkes
Billerica, Mass.